Friday, February 22, 2008

I Suck, therefore I, uhhhh......suck

I am so bad at this blogging shit. In fact, I seem to be really bad at the whole Internet Thing.
It's so futuristic & all, I love the Future, at least I used to think I did. Am I really getting old & shit; calcifying; moss gathering up under my too-slowly-moving feet up around my ankles over my calves & thighs into my underused crotch rotting, no, fossilizing my gonads......no, wait. Stop. Take a breath. Relax.....
I can remember sitting in a living room in Bakersfield many years ago, must have been early '70s, telling some people I didn't know something about how in the Near Future, not too long from now, everybody is going to have a computer, & it's gonna be great! Blank stares. They had not the faintest idea of why in the world they would ever want to have a computer. Nor did I! But I at least knew that it was gonna be really cool in some way or another! I was so ahead of the curve, the wave, the thing. I was so ready for it......not! I got books on computers, I tried to learn Fortran from paperbacks. I was not the right kind of nerd in the right college at the right time. I was an artist waiting for Adobe Photoshop™ to happen & drop into my lap so I could do all these really cool things. I was an "Underground" Cartoonist, fer chrissake! I was ready to be wielding lightning bolts in really original & constructive ways that would make the world such a better place like you wouldn't believe!
And the whole thing went right on by me.
I never ever, in my wildest dreams, & I guess I did have some wild ones, expected to live past the age of 30. Really. I think I thought I was just going to go up in a puff of smoke at some point or something, I don't know. At any rate, I am now in what is for me totally uncharted territory, so I am of course having to make all of this shit up as I go along, & I don't seem to be doing a very good job of it, because I seem to have made some really dumbass decisions about how the World works, or should work, & now, having already committed myself to not spending every waking minute trying to do nothing but make more money & then some more money & then more more more more money.....I blew it. I'm a lousy provider. I'm just a dreamer. That & $4.00 will get you a latté. (Back in the '50s & before even that, they used to like to say: "...that & 10 cents will get you a cup of coffee.") So it's funny, see?
Oh, man, listen to this Old Fart whining. Or not.
Which brings me back to this blogging thing. I have a hard time believing anybody could possibly give a shit about the things that I happen to be thinking about, let alone the things I've been looking at on the Internet.

No comments: